Below are services offered by Merseyrail Electrics:
Merseyrail is an urban network of vital importance to the transport infrastructure of Liverpool and Merseyside. In view of the ongoing regeneration of the city and the anticipated developments related to the Cultural Capital of Europe award for 2008, rail will play a major role in the economic life of the region and be a vital part in the urban transport network which, thanks to the efforts of Merseytravel, is already “multi-modal” with combined tickets valid on trains, buses and ferries.
• 75 route miles, outer termini at Southport, Ormskirk, Kirkby, Hunts Cross on the Northern Line, and New Brighton, West Kirby, Chester and Ellesmere Port on the Wirral Line
• Core city centre underground network, including 6,5 miles in tunnels and 5 underground stations
• Underground section includes the original Mersey railway tunnel opened in 1886
• Approximately 100.000 passenger journeys per weekday or 30 million passenger journeys per annum
• Nearly 50% of passengers are daily users
• 67 stations of which 66 are managed by Merseyrail
• One of the most intensively used networks in the UK with almost 600 train services daily (Monday to Friday)
• Clockface, regular interval timetable (15 minute frequencies, increasing to 5 minute on city centre sections)
• Approximately 1100 staff
• A fleet of 59 electric multiple units
• Major refurbishment of entire rolling stock fleet in progress
Merseyrail is a unique concession in the UK as the role of the SRA has been delegated by Parliament to the Merseyside Public Transport Executive Merseytravel and the concession agreement is between the operator and Merseytravel. This gives much better local control by local people of local services. Another unique feature is the length of the concession which is 25 years from 20 July 2003 with review dates along the way.
The concession is operated by Merseyrail Electrics (2002) Ltd, a 50/50 Joint Venture company between Serco and NedRailways. The new operator (branded Merseyrail) operates the Wirral Line and the Northern Line.
This service is available in Merseyside (United Kingdom)
Below are the regions in which Merseyrail Electrics are located or operate: